You may think taking your toddler to the dentist is unnecessary at such an early age. However, it is actually the best time to introduce your child to their pediatric dentist. A toddler dentist has skills to help your little one feel comfortable during their dental appointments and set a foundation for proper oral hygiene for the future.
Why Choose a Toddler Dentist
The earlier you introduce your child to the dentist, the more comfortable they’ll be. Both the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the American Dental Association (ADA) agree that a baby should see the dentist after the appearance of the first tooth or by their first birthday. An early positive experience at the dentist will encourage healthy dental habits as your child grows and, in turn, protect their oral health and other benefits, including:
- Enhancing speech development by protecting primary teeth.
- Promote healthy nutrition by aiding in chewing food properly.
- Aid the proper development of permanent teeth – infected baby teeth increase the risk of pits, stains, and weak adult teeth
- Reduce the risk of expensive orthodontic treatment later on – decay or early removal of baby teeth can cause adjacent teeth to shift, limiting the space for the permanent tooth to set in and increasing the possibility of crowded or misaligned teeth.
- Lower the risk for early childhood tooth decay, which refers to tooth decay in baby teeth due to poor dental hygiene, frequent intake of sugary or sticky foods/snacks, and the constant use of a sippy cup or baby bottle when feeding sugary beverages.
Schedule Your Child’s Appointment
To learn more about what to expect with a toddler dentist near you, contact your children’s dentist in Valencia to schedule your child’s first appointment. During the appointment, you can expect your pediatric dental team to help your child feel comfortable and better understand what happens during routine visits.